- This event has passed.
Chemistry of Spirits
May 7, 2015 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm$40.00
ISC continues its famous “Chemistry for Adults” series, this time in partnership with Chicago’s first distillery & cocktail bar since prohibition, CH Distillery. ISC’s favorite resident chemist, Dr. Shelby Hatch, of Northwestern University’s Chemistry Department will present with CH Distillery’s master distillers to teach you the chemical secrets behind making and drinking your favorite alcoholic spirits – vodka, gin and more. You will get a behind the scenes view of the distilling process as this unique facility, plus learn all kinds of fascinating things to better appreciate various beverages, as well as impress guests at your next cocktail party.
- What exactly are spirits and what is the difference between spirits and beer and wine?
- What is difference between distilling and fermenting?
- How do stills work? And could you make your own (bathtub gin anyone?)?
- What’s the real difference between high-end, expensive liquors and moonshine?
- Is it worth paying for certain liquors? Which ones?
- Does cheap booze really give you a hangover or is it just the amount? If yes, why?
- What’s the difference between flavored and infused vodka and gin? How are flavored vodkas made?
Whether your preferred beverage is neat, on the rocks, or fruity with umbrellas, this program is for you. We’ll also be having a fun trivia quiz with prizes! Absolutely no science prerequisites are necessary but, obviously, this is a 21+ event. Please understand your attendance at this program may be critical to your future drinking happiness for the rest of your life. So sign up now as space is limited!
Images: CH Distillery. “Cease & Desist” cocktail; Traditional carafe service; “The Baron Takes Tea” cocktail